50+ Language Travel Taormina, Sicily
A study-holiday in one of most beautiful and fascinating places in Italy along with a full-immersion Italian course is an unmissable opportunity for travellers over 50 from across the world to enjoy a unique experience in Sicily. This course is specifically designed to allow travellers age 50+ to study and learn Italian and, at the same time, personally experience the history of Sicily, the culture and its traditions and flavours.
You can choose the number of Italian lessons that you will enjoy while on this 2 week course. Choose from 10 lessons a week or 20 lessons a week. Each lesson is 45 minutes long and run Monday – Friday in the morning. The program caters for absolute beginners and all participants are level tested on the first Monday and will learn in groups of similar language level. 50+ students will learn in private language classes if there are at least 3 participants from the course at a similar level. If there is not, you will join with other students learning the language at your level.
The language school can be mistaken for a paradise. It is immersed in a garden featuring trees of all kinds,: orange, mandarin, grapefruit, palm; with plants and flowers of all colours. The school is in the heart of Taormina between the Greek Theatre and the main street and immersed in the Archaeological Park. In the lush garden, students can study, relax and meet with friends. The school maintains a high calibre of academic teaching qualities, but it is not just a school, it is a cultural centre. The school is open to both the local community and international students who will gain a wider cultural experience and the chance to easily interact and integrate with the local community.
You can choose your accommodation preference. You are welcome to book one of the language school accomodation options or arrange your own accommodation too. Options available are:
- Shared student apartment – single or twin/double rooms available. You have your own private room, but share a common kitchen and bathroom. Twin/double rooms can only be booked by people travelling together.
- Host Family – single room within a host family home. Choose from bed & breakfast, half-board or full-board. A great way to fully immerse yourself in the language.
- Independent Studio: independent apartment available for single or double occupancy.
- Pensioni & Hotels: Choose from on of the many Pensione and Hotels that the language school partners with for special rates. Ratings are from 2-5 star accommodation. Availability affected by the time of the tourism year.
The language school arranges a program of activities, excursions and events to help your experience Sicily. The program is designed to give you access to real open-air art history and culture lessons. There are many trips panned to the beautiful UNESCO World Heritage sites including a tour of the Valley of the Greek Temples and the Roman Villa of Casale and the Greek Neapolis, as well as a guided tour of Mount Etna. Lectures offer opportunities to experience Sicilian literature and traditions such as sharing a cup of tea at the Museum of Casa Cuseni, and a guided tour of the Museum of Traditions. They also provide a journey of taste through food and wine with hands on cooking lessons and a tasting of Sicilian cheese and wine. The activities are also supported by time for your to rest and explore as you wish, with some afternoons and days left for to use as you wish.
It is a fabulous two-week experience where you can share a pleasant and warm atmosphere with other travellers from all over the world who want to enjoy exploring and discovering the beauty of Sicily.
MyEducation and the language school are here to provide you with a fun, educational and enjoyable time in Taormina. The language school staff are there to assist you with your time in Sicily and can give guidance for activities and restaurants to try when you have free time.
The program is designed to allow you to learn Italian in a relaxed environment with people of a similar age and outlook. Other participants will be from across the world and will have the same joie de vivre as you.
✓ 10 or 20 lessons per week, Monday to Friday morning.
✓ Each lesson = 45 minutes.
✓ International classes.
✓ We recommend that you have some knowledge of the Italian language as all activities will be in Italian, but absolute beginners can be accepted.
✓ All teaching takes place in Italian.
✓ Classes may be with students of all ages, but a similar language ability.
Lessons are taught through an interactive teaching method developed by the language school team. Students will take part in a host of interactive and didactic activities in speaking and writing. With the use of various teaching aids students will actively participate in dynamic exercises involving real life situations and role-playing.
✓ Two week stay in Taormina, Sicily.
✓ 10 or 20 lessons per week, 45 minutes each.
✓ All levels from beginners to advanced.
✓ Written and oral level test on arrival.
✓ Certificate of attendance on completion.
✓ Maximum of 12 students per class.
✓ 3 half day excursions or activities per week.
✓ 1 full day excursion.
✓ Arrive Sunday, depart Saturday.
✓ Supervision and support.
✓ MyEducation service and support prior to departure and during program.
NOT INCLUDED, BUT AVAILABLE
✓ Accommodation – can book through school or yourself.
✓ Airport transfer on arrival and departure. £80 each way from Catania airport.
✓ Additional classes and courses.
✓ Textbook and study materials
✓ Assistance with flight booking and insurance.
Dates: 20th March, 17th April, 15th May, 4th September, 2nd October 2023
2 week culture course + 20 lessons + shared apartment (single room) || £1,495 ||
2 week culture course + 20 lessons + studio (single room) || £1,895 ||
2 week culture course + 10 lessons + shared apartment (single room) || £1,355 ||
2 week culture course + 10 lessons + studio (single room) || £1,745 ||
Key Facts: Taormina, Sicily
- Population: approx. 11,000
- Why choose Taormina: Taormina is best know for its 2nd century Greek Theatre, but the Sicilian city has many impressive historical attractions and is perched high above the eastern coastline. The city is close to the beach and located close, but not to close(!) to Mount Etna.
- MyEducation recommends: Valle dei Templi (Valley of the Temples). Italy has many ancient ruins, but Valle dei Templi is unique. You can see some of the best preserved ancient Greek ruins on the earth, dating from when the area was part of Magna Graecia in the fifth centry BC.
- What to eat in Sicily: Cannoli and arancini are a must when in Sicily. You may also learn to make these delicacies on your cooking afternoon.
- Flights: MyEducation will confirm your arrival airports and dates. You can choose to book your own flight to Sicily. MyEducation can also book the flight for you through our partner travel agency. You will pay the fee for the flight to the travel agent at the time that the booking is made. Full payment required for the flight to be secured.
- Vaccinations: We recommend that you ensure that your vaccinations are up to date for travel to Italy. You can find up to date information here: Travel Health Pro.
- Insurance: All students require insurance for their trip. Insurance should cover at the lowest level: belongings, travel, personal liability and medical expenses. MyEducation can provide insurance on a monthly basis. Please speak with staff if you want details.
- Arrival Transfer: meeting on arrival at the airport is not included in the fee for the program. If you require a transfer, this can be arranged for £80 each way from Catania airport.
- Emergency Support: The language school and MyEducation have an emergency number that can be contacted 24/7 for students on a program. This is for emergency situations that need urgent attention.
How to sign up for a trip to Sicily
Complete a booking form today to sign up for your Language Travel adventure or complete our contact form and a staff member will be in touch to talk more about the program and to confirm the dates and fees for the trip. You can read more about Language Travel here and read our FAQs page to answer all of your questions. You should also read our Terms and Conditions for booking.