***Book early to avoid disappointment. Spaces to Japan are in high demand after the borders reopened***
Programs and Activities
This program is best suited to a young person with a drive to explore and an ability to stand on their own two feet. The Language school will provide supervision and support, but students are expected to travel on public transport to the school and they will have free days to explore the local area. Students can obviously join in groups together, but participants must be willing to explore without adult support.
✓ Join this 18 day trip to Japan.
✓Get the experience of a lifetime with young people from around the world.
✓ Experience the cities of Kyoto and Shiga while learning Japanese.
✓ See Japan’s fascinating traditions, culture and history.
✓ Learn Japanese where the language is spoken.
This program offers students time to explore the area by themselves and join arranged activities.
✓ Visit the largest lake in Japan, Lake Biwa.
✓ Visit Hikone Castle.
✓ Visit shrines and temples
✓ Experience Yukata.
✓ Learn new skills such as meditation, calligraphy, silk printing.
✓ Arrival and farewell parties.
✓ Free time to explore the area.
Rules and Supervision
This program in Kyoto is only suitable for independent and responsible young people who can handle freedom and responsibility and who are not afraid to transport themselves around a big city like Kyoto. The individual host family sets rules and boundaries for participants, and it is expected that they eat dinner together. Students will be supervised on the arranged activities and excursions, but students are responsible for finding their way home to the host family when the day’s program is over. It is also normal for the host family to specify a specific time to be at home in the evening.
✓ Approx. 15 hours of Japanese lessons per week.
✓ International classes.
✓ We recommend that you have some knowledge of the Japanese language.
✓ All teaching takes place in Japanese.
✓ Teaching materials are included.
✓ Level test.
✓ Course certificate.
✓ You will stay with a local host family throughout your stay.
✓ You get a single room, but often have to share a bathroom with the family.
✓ Half board is included in the stay (breakfast and dinner).
✓ You will live between 30-70 minutes from the school by public transport.
✓ The host families often know a little English, but not much.
✓ 15 lessons per week of Japanese teaching.
✓ Level test on arrival.
✓ Accommodation at a host family in a single room, shared bathroom.
✓ Half board, breakfast and dinner.
✓ Supervision and support.
✓ Return transfer service from / to Osaka airport, if arriving / departing within specified times and dates.
✓ Afternoon activities.
✓ MyEducation service and support prior to departure and during program.
Summer in Kyoto and Shiga 2023 || £2,200
- Population: approx. 1.45 million people
- Language: Japanese
- Traditions in Japan: According to the ancient Japanese calendar, Spring begins on February 4th. On February 3rd, one prepares for the coming of Spring. This is done by a member of the family dressing up as a devil, while the rest of the family throws dried soybeans at them and shouts “Fuku wa uchi, oni wa soto” (“Happiness inside, the devil outside”).
- MyEducation recommends: Visit Japan’s largest lake Lake Biwa
- What to eat in Kyoto: Having said Japan, sushi is a must! The sushi restaurants can be found all over town and you will not get better than here.
We recommend that you ensure that your vaccinations are up to date for travel to Japan. You can find up to date information here: Travel Health Pro.
Japan currently requires one of the following for entry regarding COVID status:
- Proof of triple vaccination status using approved vaccine. Evidence must have specific information on it and be issued by the Government of the issuing country.
- If not vaccinated, a PCR test is required within 72 hours before your flight.
- Proof of having the virus is not sufficient to waive the entry requirements.
(Information correct January 2023)
How to sign up for a trip to Kyoto
Complete our contact form and a staff member will be in touch to talk more about the program and to confirm the dates and fees for the trip. You can read more about Language Travel here and read our FAQs page to answer all of your questions. You should also read our Terms and Conditions for booking.