Adult Language Travel Kyoto
Our partner language school has 11 schools across Japan and each school has it’s own unique characteristics. Staff are regularly trained and attend conferences across the group, which allows them to share knowledge and experience. The school has three pillars that it works by: 1) Reaching: students not only imporive their Japanese language skills, they also learn how to behave appropriately as educated and well-respected people. They aim to tech students about success in their future even after graduating. 2) Learn through Experience: the school offers plenty of opportunities to apply and improve language skills outside of the classroom. This might be through Speech contests or Writing Competitions as well as regular events that introduce traditional and contemporary Japanese culture. 3). Safe and Secure Support Systems: the school team work hard to ensure that suitable support is in place for the students, whether it is for help with arrival or assistance with government procedures or supporting the mental wellbeing of students away from home.
The school in Kyoto is located near to the centre of the city and just a 3 minute walk from Gojo station, making it an easy place to commute to.
The language school in Kyoto offers three accommodation options for students:
- Apartment Style: Economy Oriented Type (single) – has air conditioning, bed, desk, kitchen, internet, shower, toilet, refrigerator and bedding. Coin laundry located in building. Located 31 minutes on foot to the school.
- Apartment Style: Comfortable Oriented Type (single) – has air conditioning, bed, desk, kitchen, internet, shower, toilet, refrigerator, washing machine and bedding. Self-locking entrance with 24 hour residence support. Located 3 minute walk from school.
- Host Family: accommodation in a single room in a Japanese family home. Students can choose between bed and breakfast or breakfast and dinner. Families are located in Kyoto but could be up to an hour from the school by public transport. Students are expected to become a member of the home and to participate in family life.
N.B. Students studying for less than 3 months cannot use dormitory accommodation. Host families are available and MyEducation can recommend other accommodation options available for a shorter lease.
NOTE: STUDENTS ON THE 6 MONTH+ PROGRAM MUST APPLY FOR A VISA. THIS VISA WILL ALLOW YOU TO SECURE PART TIME WORK WHILE IN JAPAN FOR UP TO 28 HOURS A WEEK.
THE SCHOOL ENCOURAGES EMPLOYMENT TO HELP WITH YOUR LANGUAGE SKILLS AND CULTURAL LEARNING.
The school aims to be one of Japan’s safest and most secure language schools. As such they have a dedicated team to prepare safety manuals and to ensure staff are trained. They take a variety of measures to ensure safety in the event of a disaster (such as earthquake, fire or typhoon), security in the school buildings is key and all staff are first-aid trained. Students can also access free medical check-ups through the school.
At the start of your program you will be met at the airport and led to your school or dormitory. You will also have an entrance ceremony to welcome you at the start of your life as an international student. You will also have an orientation to help with the smooth transition into school life. The school will assist you with resident registration and setting up a bank account (if needed.) They can also guide you to buy a mobile phone. They are there to offer full support as you settle into your new life.
- Study Abroad and Cultural Experience.
- Graduate School preparation
- University Preparation Course
- Arts Course
- Short term courses
- Job Seeking Course
✓ Approx. 15 hours of Japanese lessons per week.
✓ International classes.
✓ We recommend that you have some knowledge of the Japanese language.
✓ All teaching takes place in Japanese.
✓ Level test.
✓ Course certificate.
✓ 15 lessons per week of Japanese teaching.
✓ Accommodation is optional, but prices are quoted with accommodation.
✓ Host family or apartment accommodation.
✓ Self catering or half board accommodation options.
✓ Supervision and support.
✓ MyEducation service and support prior to departure and during program.
NOT INCLUDED, BUT AVAILABLE
✓ Airport transfer on arrival.
✓ Additional classes and courses.
✓ Course materials.
✓ Access to activities and excursions arranged by the school.
✓ Assistance with flight booking and insurance.
15 lesson + host family || 2 weeks: £1,311 || 4 weeks: £2,239 || 1 term: £6,212 || 6 months: £13,475 || 1 year: £26,119
15 lessons+ Economy Single || 1 term: £2,770 || 6 months: £6,860 || 1 year: £13,099
15 lessons+ Comfortable Single || 1 term: £3,545 || 6 months: £7,305 || 1 year: £13,795
N.B PRICING FOR NON-HOST FAMILY PLACEMENT IS APPROXIMATE. FINAL FEE CAN ONLY BE CONFIRMED ONCE ACCOMMODATION IS SECURED.
Key Facts: Japan
- Population: approx. 125 million people
- Language: Japanese
- Traditions in Japan: According to the ancient Japanese calendar, Spring begins on February 4th. On February 3rd, one prepares for the coming of Spring. This is done by a member of the family dressing up as a devil, while the rest of the family throws dried soybeans at them and shouts “Fuku wa uchi, oni wa soto” (“Happiness inside, the devil outside”).
Key Facts: Kyoto
- Population: approx. 1.47 million people
- Traditions in Kyoto: According to the ancient Japanese calendar, Spring begins on February 4th. On February 3rd, one prepares for the coming of Spring. This is done by a member of the family dressing up as a devil, while the rest of the family throws dried soybeans at them and shouts “Fuku wa uchi, oni wa soto” (“Happiness inside, the devil outside”).
- MyEducation recommends: The Kinkakuji temple.
- What to eat in Kyoto: Kyoto is reknowned for it’s delicate and delicious food. You must try: Tofu, Yuba (tofu skim), Kaiseki (Japanese haute cuisine), Shojin ryori (Japanese Buddhist vegetarian cuisine), Kyo-wagashi (Kyoto sweets) and Yudofu (tofu cooked in hot broth).
- Visas: For programs less than 6 months in length, no visa is required for entry. For programs over 6 months, a visa is required. The language school will provide you with the necessary sponsorship documents to apply for the visa. Applications must be lodged at the Consulate in London. There are no additional visa fees (correct Sept. 2021). Applicants for 6 month+ program have to apply at least 3 months before departure in order to ensure you can secure a visa.
- Flights: MyEducation will confirm your arrival airports and dates. You can choose to book your own flight to Japan. MyEducation can also book the flight for you through our partner travel agency. You will pay the fee for the flight to MyEducation at the time that the booking is made. Full payment required for the flight to be secured.
- Vaccinations: We recommend that you ensure that your vaccinations are up to date for travel to Japan. You can find up to date information here: Travel Health Pro.
- Insurance: All students require insurance for their trip. Insurance should cover at the lowest level: belongings, travel, personal liability and medical expenses. MyEducation can provide insurance on a monthly basis. Please speak with staff if you want details
- Arrival Transfer: meeting on arrival at the airport is not included in the fee for the program. If you require a transfer, MyEducation can confirm a fee for the service and the details of how it is managed.
- Emergency Support: The language school and MyEducation have an emergency number that can be contacted 24/7 for students on a program. This is for emergency situations that need urgent attention.
- Bank fees and accommodation deposit: Bank transfer fees of around 4,000 Yen will be due after arrival at the language school. These fees can only be calculated after payments have been completed at the school, so students are required to pay this in Japan. Accommodation deposits are included in the fees charged by MyEducation and they will be returned to you at the end of the program (less any fees for cleaning) by the Japanese language school.
How to sign up for a trip to Kyoto
Complete a booking form today to sign up for your Language Travel adventure or complete our contact form and a staff member will be in touch to talk more about the program and to confirm the dates and fees for the trip. You can read more about Language Travel here and read our FAQs page to answer all of your questions. You should also read our Terms and Conditions for booking.